What can you get from free software?
I described in another post how and why I wrote recoverjpeg, a program that recovers lost digital pictures on corrupted media. This software is totally free (both as in free beer and as in free speech); the only reward I counted on was to receive some excerpts of recovered pictures to illustrate the software’s web page. However, I received much more.
At this time, the return on investment for this software is:
- around ten thousands of my own pictures that had been mistakenly erased (that alone would have been more than enough);
- a bottle of champagne from a satisfied user (thank you Blaise);
- two boxes of liquorice pepper candies from a satisfied user (thank you Phil);
- a handful of very beautiful pictures from a satisfied user (thank you Volker);
- a beer and a picture from a satisfied user (thank you Erwan).
And this is just the beginning. Not bad for 326 lines of code.
blog comments powered by Disqus